Every now and again I come across tweets with links to interesting and stimulating web sites and articles, two of which I’ve spotted today:
It’s interesting, what we at Forrester have observed across the industry this particular kind of maniacal kind of addition to the program management kind of practice. PMO’s have grown in size and stature in organizations and become incredibly…big, in terms of their execution. One thing that it illustrates is that complexity does not solve complexity. As organizations wrestle with increasingly diverse portfolio, time-to-market pressures, one thing that they want to do is add more complexity. “When in doubt, add more governance!”,”When in doubt, add more people to manage the people that are managing the people!” “When in doubt, get more Gannt charts!” And I think that we’ve found that that does not work. I think it’s clear that breakthrough companies or companies that are definitely driving the industry around change and innovation are not solving those problems with complexity.
I love this quote because it says so beautifully and eloquently what I’ve been thinking for quite some time but was unable to articulate so well. In my experience (and IMHO only – but see also “Project Management Offices: A Waste of Money?“), PMO’s are a complete waste of time and money.
@pbadenski tweeted a link titled “Ten Politically Incorrect Truths About Human Nature“. This title is absolutely spot on as the article outlines 10 human traits, some of which one would hesitate to mention or discuss in public at least on certain circumstances.
Here’s the list:
- Men like blond bombshells (and women want to look like them)
- Humans are naturally polygamous
- Most women benefit from polygyny, while most men benefit from monogamy
- Most suicide bombers are Muslim
- Having sons reduces the likelihood of divorce
- Beautiful people have more daughters
- What Bill Gates and Paul McCartney have in common with criminals
- The midlife crisis is a myth—sort of
- It’s natural for politicians to risk everything for an affair (but only if they’re male)
- Men sexually harass women because they are not sexist
Think about it!